- A train driver operates, or drives, a train. They’re also called locomotive engineers, railroad engineers or foot plate men. It’s a great job for someone who likes to travel and see the country and who doesn’t mind being away from home for days or weeks at a time. It pays well and affords you the benefits of belonging to a union, such as job security and a pension.
- Meet the general qualifications.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must pass a background check and a drug screen.
- You must be able to work alone for long periods of time, handle emergency situations and think for yourself.
2Attend formal training, which will consist of classroom study and hands-on experience. Training may take several weeks or several months. You must attend a program approved by the Federal Railroad Administration.
- Most train drivers attend schools operated by the railroad company, but some may choose to attend a community college and earn an associate’s degree in railroad operations.
- Get an entry-level job with a railroad company, such as a laborer, rail yard worker, brakeman or conductor. Gain additional skills and experience. If you want to drive commuter trains, you may have to begin by driving buses.
Pass the qualifying exams for different positions and work your way up to driver. Before you can drive a train, you must pass a federal licensing exam.
You will have to attend additional training in the classroom, in simulators and on the job before you can take the licensing exam.
You will also be required to periodically pass additional tests to maintain your license.
You’re helping people by reading wikiHow
wikiHow’s mission is to help people learn, and we really hope this article helped you. Now you are helping others, just by visiting wikiHow.
Direct Relief is a humanitarian nonprofit with a mission to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty and emergencies. Recognized by Charity Navigator and Forbes for its efficiency, Direct Relief equips health professionals in the U.S. and throughout the world with essential medical resources to effectively treat and care for patients – without regard to politics, religion, or ability to pay.
Click below to let us know you read this article, and wikiHow will donate to Direct Relief on your behalf. Thanks for helping us achieve our mission of helping everyone learn how to do anything.
Click here to be counted
Is it possible for someone in their thirties to become a train driver or a conductor?wikiHow ContributorYes. As long as you can make it through the training and understand the requirements of the job, you should be fine.
I’m in my mid-fifties. Is it too late for me to become a train driver?wikiHow ContributorIt’s never to late to become one. Just meet the requirements and you should be fine.
Can I become a train driver if I have a mechanical diploma?wikiHow ContributorYes. Eligible diploma departments include the following: Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics and Automobile Engineering.
What are the educational requirements for becoming a train operator?wikiHow ContributorMost railroad companies have the minimum requirement as High School diploma or GED, but I have heard that railroads won’t hire you unless you have college experience (unsure how much truth there is to this, however).
Can I become a train driver even if I don’t learn physical sciences?wikiHow ContributorThe easiest way is build your experience. Start off applying for a job driving light rail, or something similar. You don’t need prior training.
Can I become a train driver if I have an artificial foot?wikiHow ContributorSure, all trains have hand breaks and dead-man switches. There’s no such thing as foot pedals except in specialty trains.
How old do I have to be in order to be a train driver?wikiHow ContributorYou must be 18 years of age or older. If you are you are under the age you could try volunteering at your local railroad museum to learn the ropes.
How do I find out if my degree meets the requirements of this job?wikiHow ContributorYou could always research this online, or phone and ask the branch you’re looking to apply for.
Can I become a train conductor if I have glasses?wikiHow ContributorYes. I wear glasses/contacts and recently became a locomotive engineer. Rules require you to have a backup pair on you while on duty.
Show more answersUnanswered Questions
If you’re 65 can you apply?Answer this questionFlag as…
Where can I learn to be a train driver in Milton Keynes?Answer this questionFlag as…
What is the basic training for a train driver?Answer this questionFlag as…
At which institution/university can I do a train-driving course or train control officer with my experience?Answer this questionFlag as…
Where can I learn to be a train driver in South Africa?Answer this questionFlag as…
Show more unanswered questionsAsk a QuestionSubmit
- Railroad jobs are currently declining because of computerization. However, a large number of railroad workers are expected to retire between 2010 and 2020, creating job openings.
- To find railroad jobs, visit the websites of railroad companies such as Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific or CSX Transportation. You can also find jobs by checking the list published by the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board. If you want to drive commuter trains or subway trains, check for jobs with area public transit authorities.
- Train drivers are required to work long, irregular hours, including nights, weekends and holidays. They are often forced to put their names on a list and wait to be assigned work, which means being ready to work on short notice. They may have to work in severe weather conditions, which means not only working outside in the cold and heat, but sitting in cold or hot train cars.
Categories: Transport Careers
In other languages:
Español: convertirse en el chofer de un tren, Italiano: Diventare un Macchinista Ferroviario, Português: Ser um Condutor de Trem, Русский: стать машинистом поезда, Deutsch: Ein Zugführer werden, Français: devenir conducteur de train, Bahasa Indonesia: Menjadi Masinis
- Send fan mail to authors
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 210,795 times.Did this article help you?