Established in 1988 by anti-apartheid activists, the South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent, nonprofit, activist archive committed to documenting, supporting, and promoting greater awareness of historical and, since 1994, contemporary struggles for justice and accountability.
SAHA seeks to appoint Struggles for Justice Archival Interns, to be based at SAHA offices, Constitution Hill, Johannesburg.
This is a six months up to a maximum of 12 months’ contract
Salary: Interns will receive monthly stipend for the duration of the internship
- Access, process, sort and maintain physical and digital archival materials according to archival standards
- Update and standardise metadata relating to SAHA collections
- Assist in the implementation of various special projects, including digitisation, publication development, and exhibition preparation, as required
- Respond and assist researchers who consult the archive
- Hold a qualification in information studies, history or heritage management (or a related qualification that you are able to motivate relates to the work of the archival programme at SAHA)
- South African citizen under 30 years of age
- ability to commit to an internship of six months in duration
- Graduated with no prior full-time work experience
- Have a demonstrable interest in human rights advocacy and constitutional issues and an interest in building a career in civil society in South Africa
- Experience working with archival collections, and an understanding of the need for careful handling of archival material and artefacts
- Ability to plan, prioritise work, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Systematic and thorough in their approach to work, with attention to detail
- Computer literacy Microsoft Office software
- Be fit and able to lift archive boxes and move loaded carts
To apply, Submit letter of motivation with your CV (no longer than two pages) and contact details for at least two referees to email@example.com the subject line of your email must include: Archival Internship 2018 – your full names
One-page letter of motivation (no more than 500 words) that addresses the following:
What is the relationship between archives and human rights? (200 – 250 words)
SAHA’s central mission is to recapture lost and neglected histories and to record aspects of South African history in the making. Which SAHA project do you think fulfils this mission? Please provide reasons for your answer. (150 – 200 words)
Only complete applications submitted through the above email address as directed will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be conducted at the SAHA offices in Johannesburg between 4 to 6 April 2018.
For more about the South African History Archive, refer to www.saha.org.za